Weight bias, both explicit and implicit, exists at every level of healthcare and it negatively affects people of all sizes. In this talk we’ll uncover the ways in which weight stigma is found in healthcare research, training, tools, and best practices, and the impacts it has. We’ll learn options to avoid and/or mitigate weight bias as practitioners, patients, and advocates, as well as ways that we can all work to end weight bias in healthcare.
• Identify the ways that weight bias exists in healthcare
• Identify the ways in which weight bias harms people of all sizes
• Understand actions that practitioners can take to end weight bias within their practice
• Understand actions that patients can take if they are experiencing weight bias
• Understand actions that advocates can take to end weight bias in healthcare